26 October 2011

Dark is...well...DARK!

So I left Service Course last night with the plan to do the first part of my WeCola CX loop, then try to catch the night group ride.
Things went to plan...
I can say, with a reasonable amount of certainty, riding the dirt road, that's supposedly haunted, at dusk, will fuck with your inner eight year old. As soon as I got into the canopy of trees, and away from any escape routes, the hammer went down. I rode at, or a bit above, threshold for the length of Old State Rd. Proof? I had a string of drool hanging from my lower lip, a la Tony Martin, when I hit the neighborhood.
Upon making the turn, I saw headlights and blinkies. Yes, I caught the ride...

The next hour or so was spent rolling around downtown, having a good time.

At 8, I split of to go home. Upon hitting The Statehouse grounds, and laughing heartily at the 'Occupy Columbia' dopesticks***, my light died, and could not be resuscitated. I had no choice but to go ninja for the rest of the trip home. To quote the title of this post, the dark is DARK!! Especially when the 1000lumens one is used to having light the way has gone silent.
Riding through campus and 5 Points was an exercise in cat-like agility. Once into Shandon, I dialed back the sniper stare.

Other than the light taking a crap, it was a great ride. I felt good, rode well, and had a good time. Isn't that what it's all about?

*** - Yeah, the "Occupy" dummies has a laptop, hooked to a projector, streaming TV onto a movie screen. $1000+ dollars of equipment to watch the news, while they protest the inequalities of economy. Irony much?And HED wins best use of a vehicle for marketing purposes. Split window panel vans make me feel all warm and funny...


No comments: