31 May 2007

Better, I think...

So I went out and rode yesterday. I did a slow, careful loop of the Fort. The back seems to be healing nicely, although I can feel when I bend a weird way or attempt to really push hard on the pedals. I can climb standing and sprint with reasonable effectiveness, but seated climbing is still the sticking point and will likely continue to befor a short while...
I do plan on riding with the group tonight, but pride will probably prevent me from going all the way to Elon. I don't want to get shelled out in the middle of the nowhere, just before darkness falls. We'll see how the back feels. I'm definitely not going to let misguided testicular fortitude cloud judgment and injure myself further...

Now for our weekly product review...

Continental Grand Prix 4000S tires.
These aren't even available in the US yet, but I managed to get a pair from England. These are the new and improved version of the venerable GP4000. The biggest complaint with the GP4K was the poor wear and high rolling resistance. Continental addressed these issues with a new rubber compound with an additive they are calling, "Black Chili." The Black Chili additive will be making it's way into all high-end Conti offerings, but is only available in these tires and some high-end MTB rubber.
I ride Vittoria Open Corsa CX tires most of the time and have grown accustomed to fast rolling, smooth riding, good turning tires. The GP4000S lives up to the billing. They seemed to roll very well and turn in was positive. I could only push so hard yesterday, so we'll see how they perform when my injured back allows me to ride with any anger.
The ride quality was right on par with the Vittoria tires, maybe even a bit better. Conti claims 330tpi versus 290tpi for the Vitts. They seem to ride a bit softer at 120psi than the Vitts...
The absolute BEST riding tire is still the Deda RS Open Corsa, but these GP4000S shoes aren't too far behind.
I've put in service dates on them and will report back about their wear and resistance to road hazards.

See you guys tonight...

I'll be in for the whole enchilada on Saturday...

No comments: