23 May 2007

Mid-week check

So, I've pretty much given up on the Crit, as I've grown quite bored with it. I really enjoy the Thursday ride better. Tuesdays will now be morning rides through the Fort for me. I rode this morning, only to encounter horrendous back pain. The only time my back felt good was in a standing, climbing position. If you know me, you will see the irony in that statement. I muttled through a counter-clockwise lap of the big loop and came home.
I didn't bother to get underderessed before I called the Chiro. I went to see him @ 12:30 and got popped, cracked and stretched. I'm having the same issue as before with the bulging disc, only not as crippling. I can pee standing up this time. Evidently, I have what's known as a "wedge" pressing down on one side of the disc, causing terrible pain in my back that radiates down my legs. It feels fan-flipping-tastic. I must have aggravated it over the weekend building the playset and shoveling sand. The Chiro said it's a 'twisting' injury of the spine. I can tell you, I did some serious twisting and lifting during the construction of #1's play area.
I took a Flexaril to relax the muscles in the area. It's GOOD stuff...! I can honestly see why people get hooked on pain meds. I'm not high in the truest sense of the word, but the sharp edges are much softer with the muscle relaxer on board. The whole driving/operating machinery sticker on the bottle is a warranted one.

I plan on riding tomorrow night, if the back feels better. If I feel like I did this morning, I'll take some time off.

I rode the (f)Ibis this morning. The new crank bolt seems to have done the job. I'll give the FSA cranks one more swing. The next issue is strike 3 though. I'll get some D/A from Crusty and be done with it. The bike does ride really well though...

This week's new product review: Bell Sweep R helmet
The helmet itself is very nice looking and easy to adjust. The straps took some wrangling, but once the rear straps were properly adjusted, there were no issues. The inside of the helmet is VERY lightly padded. The forehead pads are about the same as any high end helmet, but there are only (2) two inch long pads on the top. I added two longer, slightly thickerpads from a Giro Atmos helmet and the issue was solved.
On the bike, it felt substantial on my head. It seemed to be a bit heavier than my Giro Pneumo.
The Pneumo seemed to be have better airflow through the vents as well.
The Sweep looks about the same on my bullet-shaped skull as the Pneumo, maybe a bit better.
Overall, it's a nice helmet that can be had for $90-ish on Ebay.
******** of 10 stars.

Next week: Continental's new 4000S road tire

#2 is starting to fire up. Time to feed the little, fat man...

No comments: