20 May 2007

Weekend fun for everyone

Saturday's ride was another well attended event and was a very quick, very fun jaunt through Lower Richland. I ended up with right at 60 miles in a tick over three hours. When we left the Fort, the wind was in our faces. As it usually happens though, the wind was in the process of shifting. I just cannot fathom how the wind shifts direction in the exact amount of time it takes us to ride to the end of the road and turn. The route was rather triangular in shape, yet somehow, we had a headwind on every leg of the journey. Not a bad headwind mind you, but enough to make it that much more difficult.
I got home, ate, took a quick shower and went back to work in the backyard. #1's playset is now finished, replete with a 8'x8' sandbox with seats and a ramp for his dumptruck. He seems to like it considering he was pointing at it this morning BEFORE breakfast. I ordered WAAAY too much sand. It seems that 1.5 yards of sand was about .75 yards too many, thus there is a big pile in the driveway. It's starting to look like a landscape supply business out front. Giant pile o' sand...giant pile o' mulch...

The gray hairs came into town yesterday and we all had dinner out after the H.O. told me I had toiled enough.
Woke up this morning with tired legs and core muscles. I wasn't going to ride, but a 75 degree morning filled with sunshine isn't something you let pass by. I got dressed and rolled through the parking lot @ Outjokin'. Lo and behold, there were actually people there. They were planning on doing Screaming Eagle, so I tagged along until the split at the end of Dixie in the Fort. I did the Big Loop and came home. I felt pretty tired, but pretty good at the same time. Maybe the legs are starting come back around....maybe!

The new wheels are fan-fricking-tastic. Smooth, stiff, and pretty. Maybe there's something to be said for a straight up set of handbuilt wheels. Special thanks to Shrews at Cycle Center for the build. Best wrench in town, bar none...

1 comment:

Joel said...

Headwinds?! I thought we had pretty good luck Saturday; in fact I seem to remember a lot of tailwind. Oh well, maybe that was just b/c I was sucking wheel most of the time. ;-)

BTW, any luck finding those chainrings?