01 June 2007

Thursday night

The group met, as usual, last night @ the Circle. I stuck to my original plan of riding out with them, but turning and just doing the Big Loop. The way the plan was carried out was wholly different though. About 1/3 of the way out Hartsville Guard, the pace quickened. Wanting to test my back, I decided to go along until I blew up. I didn't blow up, which came as a surprise. The pace on the last section of the climb was tickling 20mph and I felt just fine. The legs were fresh (10 days of inactivity will do that for you), but I could tell that I've lost some fitness. It'll come back quickly...I hope.
I turned left, put the MP3 player in my ears and did the loop. There was a girl in town from Asheville that stayed with the group on the run out and made the left just behind me. I waited for her and her father and we rode together for a short time. About 1/2 way down Dixie, they started to slow so I went to the front. I rode away from them on the climb and never saw them again. I saw two guys ahead of me on the penultimate climb, so I decided to chase. I caught them at the guard shack just before Golden Arrow.
My back felt pretty good. I can put about 75% power down. Once I have to make a dig, I can feel the pulling of the muscles. I'll be fine in about 4 weeks. Just in time for the 4th of July ride in NC...

The main part of the group is going to the mountains on Saturday, but I'm sure there will still be folks out to ride. If not, I'll get some QT with the MP3 player again.

Next week's product review: Specialized Body Geometry socks. That's right folks, they are making special socks that are supposed to help your feet, legs and alignment...can you tell I'm a skeptic at heart?

I added a couple of links to the right side. RW's racing and wattage blog. Reading it and looking at his wattage graphs will show you that training with power WORKS. I also added Joel's non-cycling blog. It's title in the NavBar speaks for itself.

No comments: