30 November 2007

First night trail ride

Last night was the first Palmetto Trail night ride for the winter. Everyone yaps about how they want to go ride the trail at night, yet they never show up...
Anyway, Doog and I met a bit early last night and headed out. We did the trail from the head and rode out to the firebreak just past MM7. I didn't want to go out any further as the trail is really chopped up between the firebreak and MM8. I'll be going out at some point in the next few weeks to clear and re-cut that section of trail. I'd ask for help, but that's like asking for help to move.
My night trail eyes just aren't there yet. We did fine, but I did miss the trail a few times. Of course, one of the right turns I miss during the day, so I shouldn't count that one! I rode a bit slower than usual too seeing as it was Doog's first foray into the woods at night and his second on his new bike altogether.
The new LED light performed well and throws a lot of light up the trail. It's downfall is the fact that both heads are pretty much spot beams. They are independently adjustable, so I finally got them figured out well enough to see the trail and some of the periphery. The helmet light was a good idea last night as it filled what the LED light missed. I'll ride the big halogen light next week and make a comparison.
I ended up with 2:15 on the bike last night and had a good ride. People who sit in the house and ride a trainer are suckers.

Same time next week...
6pm @ the gate

No comments: