03 March 2010

Somebody 'splain this to me...

The NAHBS just passed, and there was some very cool stuff presented this year, as always. Check the links to galleries on their page. Some seriously drool-worthy rigs, for sure.
There is also a pre-ponderance of bamboo bikes...and I just don't get it. I understand the concept and the execution, but WHY? Is it the 'climb Everest' theory?
Personally, I find them ugly and think they serve no purpose other than an exercise in what materials can be used to manufacture bicycles. Sure, they say bamboo bike are light, stiff and comfortable, but why not just buy a steel or carbon bike. It's not like someone is going to break out their Boo road bike with Di2 on it and mix it up and the local weekly World Championships...unless they are a complete poseur or d-bag. Calfee's offerings look more like conversation pieces than something you'd actually go out and beat on. And some frames presented at the show were just head scratchers! I mean, WTF is that thing? I know it's a project to help frame builders in Ghana, but damn, it looks like something that Jack Skellington would ride.

If the builders would like to contact me, I have a huge stand of bamboo in my backyard. I'll be more than glad to sell it...and for the prices of these frames, I ain't giving it away!

On the hand-built tip, my lovely wife...the H.O., threw down and got me a pretty damn nice early 40th birthday present. A NOS Jericho FOCO tubed cross frame is making it's way to me as we speak. I have a list of 'white whale' frames hanging above my desk and she took it upon herself to locate this frameset and get it for me. It's even the correct color! I knew I kept her around for a reason (other than the fact she's hot!). I'll post pictures when it arrives...

As an aside, I finished and delivered GW's rain/beater/trainer bike today. It turned out quite nice...especially the Mr. T-esque chain.

Ignore the crankset (an SRM is on it now) and the so-so shitty Roval wheels. They suck on so many levels that they defy explanation.

Il Prof's Colnago is next on the docket...

My illness seems to have passed enough to get back on the bike tomorrow night...we'll see...

No comments: