02 January 2010

2010's first update

January 1- Supposed to meet a couple of folks to ride @ 1pm. For some reason, I simply cannot bring myself to wait around for half the day to go ride, so I chose out @ 0930. It was cloudy, breezy and a bit foggy. I headed out on the cross bike and did my HoP+ loop. I was feeling a bit chipper, so I went out into W.Cola and hit some of the muddy dirt roads.
As it usually happens, I was the absolute furthest point from the house, and the low fog became drizzle, then a steady light to steady rain. Did I mention it was 45 degrees? I got out of the SCE&G owned woods, and rode somewhere between SST and FTP for the 45 minutes it took me to make it home. The pace kept me toasty warm and and the wet roads cleaned the mud off the Salsa, so there was an upside...
I feel confident that no one rode @ 1 either!
January 2- NGS and I headed out to Lex to take part in the Ian Foyster Memorial Day after New Years Day Ride. It was ASS-BITING cold this morning...30F with 20mph winds out of the NW. Unfortunately, the cold and the dirt kept a lot of folks away. Pity for them...
8 intrepid souls rolled out in the brisk morning sun. 10 minutes into the ride, everyone was warm and laughs were becoming de rigeur. We all rode together...no egos...no testosterone...just a bunch of dudes having a good time on their bikes. It was so nice and should be done more...by everyone!
Shortly after halfway, a moment of inattention on a rocky downhill section brought our pal KK to grief. He hit the ground on his left knee/hip and stopped abruptly. The scuff on the front of knee wasn't so bad. The HOLE on the side was HAGGARD! For reference, it's about the size of a large peanut M&M. Nasty. He soldiered on though, adrenaline flowing through his veins. I'm willing to bet that MFer hurts right now though!
3 hours after rolling out, all 8 rolled in together. We chatted, took a couple of group pictures, and then took our cold, hungry and tired asses home. Our average speed wasn't at all high, but our average fun level was through the roof!

Gonna be COLD next week...I hear the quiet whispering of the trainer in the distance...bastard!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the most epic rides I have ever done. Will definitely have to get a cross bike for next year, though! -- Steve

Toby Porter said...

Thanks again for coming out. Hope a very similar ride will take shape early April.

MM said...

I'm there...whenever. Lots of dirt roads out in Hopkins too...