25 July 2008

Um, that was hard...

Last night, a small group met for the Thursday ride. It seems Mrs. DK is leaving town today, so DK felt the need to get home early last night. He went to the front from the Gate and kept the pace much higher than usual out of the Fort. It was hard, but not killer...very steady.
Once we got onto the open roads of LR, the pace went back up and everyone worked together. The run down to Elon was quick, but again, not killer. The kicker was the fact that I was the slowest climber of the front group, so I actually had to burn a match or two to get over the top. I made it over just behind Mandrus and Beano, which ain't too shabby for me.
We gathered back up and started the end of ride shenanigans. The stretch from Bunky's to the end of Airbase was fast, period. Everyone took their turns, but DK would just jack the pace when he hit the front. We were losing people left and right. I got gapped a bit over the rise, but chased back with little problem. From that point on, it was down to 6, then down to 4. DK, Doogie, Mandrus and me. We caught Il Prof (shortcut) and he jumped in, only to cause a gap when Karl nailed it on the front. I was 5th in line when this happened...
I chased the gap and got to within 20 meters, but was at my absolute limit. I should have just HTFU and sprinted across, but I was tapped. DK and Doogie rode away.
We rode tempo through 2X Homey and to Shop, but the pace went up again on Shop. DK hit it going over the overpass and we spit people out again. I should have jumped, but decided to mark DK for the sprint. He knew I was doing it and didn't jump. I went too late and got nipped by a tire. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...
Overall, it was a damn hard ride and it made the last three or four crits look like child's play. I felt good, rode well and don't feel too bad today.
See you guys tomorrow at the circle... 8:00 am!

No comments: