16 July 2008

A bit of a rant...

I went out to the TNCWC last night...it seems not very many wanted to race last night, as the group was very small. I felt iffy and my heart just wasn't in it. I warmed up and started though. I did exactly one lap and decided I just couldn't care any less. I sat up and just spun home. I still ended up with a decent 90+ minutes on the bike and 45km.
Now for my smallish rant...
On the warmup and the neutral lap, there were a few grumbles about the course being dirty and having gravel on it. One person, who never comes out and should probably just STFU, actually said that someone needs to get out there and clean it up. When you point a finger, there are three pointing back at you...gaper.
I spent two hours out there on Monday night to get it into the condition it was in. When I got out there, it looked like a cobbled section of Roubaix. Maybe the juniors and their 'coach' should get a little bit more involved in the 'community' and go out there one weekend morning and run some leaf blowers and push some shovels and brooms. Or maybe the people that bitch and moan should take it upon themselves to help out.
I don't do it for a pat on the back or for some boost of false male pride. I do it because it NEEDS to be done for the course to be safe for everyone. I've only been out to the crit about 6 or 7 times this year, but I've cleaned the course twice. It's a great place to ride and race. It should be cleaned and kept up for it to remain great. The businesses out there aren't going to do it. The city isn't going to do it...so it falls to us.
I'll continue to clean it when the need arises because I'm good like that. If you don't participate in the effort, keep your mouth shut!

No comments: