30 July 2008

To quote David Byrne...

"...This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around..."
It seems as though the weather is the deciding factor for who shows at the TNCWC these days. The two weeks prior to last night, the weather was beautiful. Cool, no wind, no threat of getting wet. Last nigt, it was hot, the wind was howling down up the short chute and the were some seriously dark clouds on the horizon. This, of course, brought out all of the horsepower. I can say with some convinction that last night was one of the fastest races we've done out there. There was virtually no filler last night. It also seemed to bring out the sketches as well. The guy in the Outjokin' kit and the sleeveless Summit dude were back and as bad as ever. Pick a line through the corners guys...and stick to it. And the Summit dude tried to force his way into the line about 6 times. Then he yelled at Doogie for something that was his own fault. He really needs to stay in the back until he gains some skill.
The first 25 minutes was a single file deathmarch. Crusty made the comment that it seemed that everyone was trying to outdo each other when they pulled through the line. You take your pull for a 1/2 lap, come off and drift back to 20th...quickly!!! The next thing you knew, you were back on the sharp end.
I felt pretty puny when we got started, but seemed to get better as the time clicked on. At 40 minutes, I jumped to close a little gap and my right foot felt very disconnected from the bike. I didn't clip out, but the ratchet on my old Diadora shoes came undone. Not a pleasant feeling at 50kph...and I didn't want to mess with it in the middle of the group, drifted to the back for the fix. I guess it's time to setup the new kicks...
On the last lap, I found Big Jamie and told him to follow me through the last corner. We divebombed the inside and as soon as we came off, I nailed it and led him to @ 200m. He jumped off my wheel and won with ease. His wife and grommets were there. I heard one of his kids yell, "Daddy won...!" Nice...! You owe me...!
It was a really good race. Very fast, but it felt good.
See you guys Thursday !!

No comments: