09 July 2008

Stage 5 ...finally a sprint

Cavendish shows how it's done...clean wheels baby!!
Schumi still in yellow...

I ventured out to the TNCWC last, fully expecting to get shelled like a 180 pound pecan, but something funny happening. I actually rode okay, considering I'd ridden once in the past 10 days and I'm on a antibiotic regimen that would kill a smaller man. It was weird too. I can't decide whether it was a fast ride or an average ride. My computer doesn't work out there because of the electrical transfer station...quality Specialized product...
I rode at the sharp end for the first half, chased a gap or three and then decided to retire to the back.
The group was big and stretched out for 40 minutes of the race. The last 15 minutes were a muddle. There were a couple of guys with VERY suspect handling skills. One guy in a Summit jersey needs to learn that he doesn't ride in a bubble and that his head is on a gimble. He swerved off his line on numerous occasions, running into RW at one point. The best were the 3 times he almost took himself out in the turns...once while he was on the very front. I mean, how in the Wide, Wide World of Sports do you almost tuck it in when you're in the front? He was given a wide berth after that...
I have no idea who won. I pulled Der Kaiser and just sat up on the last lap.
We also had a visit from the Richland County Sheriff's department. It seems that ONE person out there called to complain. The deputy (Dep. Brantley) was very cool and basically told me that he was only out there to say that he checked it out. He said the complaint included claims of nudity in the parking lot and the entire group just riding out in front of vehicles. The person who complained didn't give his name to the Deputy...! If I find out who called the police, I'll visit the guy at his office and we'll talk like men. Not talking to us before calling the police is a bitch move in my book. We've had no complaints in 6 years...until now.
We're out there 1 day a week, for @ 90 minutes, during the summer...after 6pm! Whoever complained needs to settle the F down.

No comments: