04 January 2007

Yet another night ride

We headed out last night for another happy jaunt through the woods of Ft. Jackson. Nothing of any consequence happened on the ride itself, but I was really wigged out for the first stretch in the trail. It was a full moon last night with high, thin clouds. The moon was huge too. It made for a creepy feel. In the first section of trail, the moon was directly ahead of us, taunting, almost watching us. I kept waiting for Bela Lugosi to pop out of the trees and chase me up the trail.
I was forced to lead last night as well. My brother forgot to charge his batteries the night before, so his wife plugged them in at 3pm yesterday. He got a good 2 hours of charge...but I digress.

On the way back, I felt like I was smashing a huge gear, so I ramped up the pace to get some leg speed going. The climbout from the turnaround was done at about 90% and actually stung quite a bit. My brother actually quoted The Velvet Hammer when he let out a resounding "Woooooooo..."!! When TVH does this, it means the ride was a bit difficult.

I did discover that I need a wider tire than a 35 on the back of the cross bike for singletrack. I have a 40, but it's too big for the chainstays. The search will begin for a 37 or 38 today.

Likely no ride until Saturday, unless I get froggy and decide to go down to the ManHole and ride the rollers for an hour tomorrow. I'll probably need to free up my legs, so I'll probably go down and watch the '06 Tour of Flanders and spiiiiin.

No comments: