25 January 2007

Doe, a deer...

Another Wednesday has come and gone, so you know what that means...
We met at 6 last might for our weekly foray into the lush pine forest that is Ft, Jackson Army Base. I do like the fact that days are getting longer. We made it all the way to the trailhead before having to resort to burning the lights. Upon entering the base, I saw two does standing about 20 yards from the road. No sooner did we turn around to look at them, there were 8 sets of eyes staring back at us. We've seen deer in ones and twos out there, but never a pack this big. They were all big, mature does with nary a buck in sight.
The ride was good. On the way out we rode tempo and really never pushed. There was a single, blue cycling glove hanging on a bush beside the trail. How does one go about losing a single glove, on the trail, halfway out? Kinda strange...
The pace picked up on the climb out during the return trip. I tried to keep my HR right at LT and carry a good pace. I ripped a few sections. After one particularly quick section, my brother calmly asked, "Who lit a fire under your ass?" I just felt good and went fast. Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug.
I changed my cleat position and it was perfetto. I can't understand why it is that I can just move the cleat on my mountain shoes around willy-nilly and have zero issues, but when I move the road cleat the smallest bit, I have knee/hip/ankle/sphincter pain. Maybe it's time to go to some different pedals on the road. I ride ATACs in the woods, so maybe I'll go to some Crank Brothers Quattros. Ostensibly, they are the same pedals. Or I'll be a complete sell-out and get some Speedplays...! The old school Looks are just not getting the job done anymore. I just don't want to buy two pair...of anything.

It's supposed to be cold this weekend, so the plan isn't set in stone yet. I'd rather do the morning ride on Saturday, but if it's 25 degress, I'll be on the mountain bike...or maybe in bed...

No comments: