09 January 2007

North wind a blowin'

So Brohem and I hit it again tonight. It was a bit chillier than usual and the wind was HOWLING through the trees. The ride out from the house was easy, as I had a 20+ mph tailwind shoving my fat ass up the road. You know you have a tailwind when you're rolling along at 28mph...on a cross bike...with 40c knobbies.
We kept the pace manageable tonight. No big surges or attacks. No real adventure on the way out other than running through a vine that had been shaken loose by the wind. Oh, the vine had 3/4" long thorns on it. I look like Bela Lugosi got me this time. Two nice puncture wounds on the forearm. DeFeet should really add some kevlar to their armwarmers...
The return trip was made at about 70-75% and I came close to eating poo a few times. I got so crossed up in one corner that my shoe rubbed the front tire while I was trying to pedal out of the slide. I didn't crash though. I got skillz like that...
The ride home sucked a thousand chocolate salty balls. That wonderous tailwind turned into a headwind that required me to put out way more wattage than I should be when hustling through the neighborhood.

The H.O. and I are going to the Governor's inaugural bar-b-que tomorrow night. That's right, in SC, the Gov has a GD pig-pickin' for an inaugural party. Nothing like watching all of the big-money, quasi-alcoholic, 60+ year old, white, powerbrokers lick sauce of their fat, little, soft-money fingers. The H.O. is a lobbyist though, so I must go do my husbandly duties. That, and the fact I'm so full of shit, I can bluff my way through the evening and they'll all think I'm laughing with them...not at them. I will need to take a shower when I get home though. It's kind of like going to Wal-Mart...you just feel dirty when you get home.

'til next time...

No comments: