11 April 2012

That was...well...interesting...

Yesterday, as the afternoon progressed, the sky became increasingly cloudy, and the wind seemed to pick up.
I rolled out into a strong NE headwind, thinking that my direction of travel would avoid the impending weather.
Yeah, I was wrong.
Once to 12th St., the wind was blowing at what can only be considered a fevered pace. Couple that with the rain that was falling at acute angles, and you have yourself a bit of a maelstrom. I could have turned for home, and had a ripper of a tailwind back to Service Course, but discretion and intelligence but must have clocked out for the day. I stayed out...
I knew there was going to be trouble when I was doing little more than rolling the cranks over and tipping 50kph. 38kph over the I-77 overpass? Sure, that shit happens everyday....
Over 77, a dust devil was swirling about on the dirt pad that will, one day, be the location of a giant Flying J Truck Stop. Yeah, I kept going...

The 50kph fun continued until the end of 12th. Upon traversing the corner at speed that could be deemed unsafe, my front wheel was sent wildly off course by a gust of wind. As my sphincter returned to normal size and shape, my inner monologue made the decision, finally, that we should probably go home.

The return trip on 12th St. was a 22-25kph fistfight. Just a slog...
The tailwind out was now slapping me, literally and figuratively, in the mouth. The wind was carrying more debris than I've seen in a long time. Fortunately, most of it ended up in my eyes, making my contacts feel like they were affixed to my eyeballs with 1000 tiny hooks.

I finally made it home @ 7:30. It was dark...30 minutes early. My decision to turn around, albeit late, was a good one. Anyone out after about 7:45 was screwed.

Rules 5 and 9 were definitely in play last night, and the line between hard and stupid was blurry, at best.

Humps for a Hump Day...


I'm gonna go wash my eyes out with saline...AGAIN...

No comments: