03 August 2007

Don't drink the Kool-Aid

Or Accelerade for that matter. That stuff just plain sucks. It may work for some people, but it has the complete opposite effect on me. I left the house feeling pretty good, maybe a bit of residual stiffness from Tuesday, but good nonetheless. About 30 minutes into the ride, my stomach started churning. I didn't feel all that bad, was taking pulls and did my easy climb over Elon. Once we started down past Bunky's, I started feeling kind of sick. I had a stomach gas bubble of epic proportions. We turned right onto Airbase and Philip attacked. We chased him down and were all together going down the hill to the bump. Der Kaiser is back and was complaining of tired legs...whatever. He jumped up the bump and took RW with him.

At this point, I felt like a had eaten Pop Rocks and washed them down with a warm Coke. I had good legs and the HR was under control, but the stomach was just plain bad! I sat up and rode about 23-24 mph for the rest of Airbase. Kevin ruptured his rear tire, which lead to a 20 minute repair session. 5 of us waited for him and we rode in together. I'm glad the rest of the group felt the need to wait for us...
The break did allow my stomach to settle out a bit, but I still belched (and worse) for 2 hours when I got home.

I felt good last night, but was completely submarined by Accelerade. No more fancy, engineered drinks for me. I'm going back to water and straight up Gatorade.

As an aside, #1 turned 2 years old yesterday. Where did that time go? One of these days, I'll turn around, and he'll be leaving for college.

Ride Saturday @ 8 a.m. I'll go out with the group, but likely have to turn off early. The H.O. decided to have a party for the boy Saturday. I have to play host and cook burgers and dogs for the assembled masses.

No comments: