19 August 2007

Home from the beach...want to go back

So the beach trip was a fun, albeit not very restful one. Between the boys, the H.O. and the gray hairs, I didn't get much sleep, nor did I get much peace and quiet. Every morning @ 6:15, the gray hairs would start pounding around the house. Quiet is not a word that is associated with those two old birds.

Anyway, I rode with those guys on Tuesday morning and, even in my suck condition, I drug them around for 2 hours. It did beat riding alone and I got some good PT numbers from the effort. We rode around a 1 mile loop for the better part of 90 minutes. I'd pull @ 24-25 for two or three laps, then they'd each take a pull @ 21. It was a decent interval workout to be honest.
There were no really big efforts or sprints.
Wednesday, I rode the crosser around in the marsh for @ 1:15. I went easy and just enjoyed the ride. The trails through the State Park are about 6 feet wide and crushed shells and packed sand. Parts were very hardpacked and parts were Paris Hilton loose. Nothing like sliding the bike around the corner. Oh, well, that's where handling skills come from. I hit one of the boardwalks at a funny angle and blew out my rear tire at the end of the ride. Instead of just limping home, I stopped for the flat change. Evidently, I disturbed a nest of wasps, and I don't mean the "We're going to the Hamptons this weekend..." type. I got out with two stings on opposite ends of my body. One on the cartilage part of my ear and the other on my left butt cheek. Thankfully, the ear hasn't ballooned to Prince Charles proportions. The hiney cheek is red and swollen and hurts like the proverbial female canine breeder. It would have been a funny sight if anyone had been around. I ran and jumped like some sort of lycra clad, slightly touched in the head, ballerina.
Thursday, I rode the crosser HARD for two hours. I caught one of the guys and rode with him for a while. He was "going hard" @ 21. 21mph is very hard on a cross bike with 1700 gram wheels shod with a 700x40 knobby on front and a 700x35 knobby on the rear. I did two more loops through the marsh and headed home with a hard two hours in the saddle. After I rode, the H.O. announced we were going to Beaufort for lunch. It was hot as dookie in Beaufort. I think I got a bit dehydrated from the combination of the ride and the walking while shopping.
I did see a couple large owls in the marsh, one of which flew right across my face. I think I pooped a little. I also ran over a squirrel. He bobbed when he should have weaved and caught the fury that is my fat ass on a cross bike. I looked back and he was limping into the woods, probably wondering WTF just ran him down.
I awoke Friday with a blistering headache, so there was no ride...

The beach was great. There were actually some good sized waves and the breeze knocked the temps down quite a bit. #1 loves the ocean now. We bought him a little PFD to wear, so now he just floats. Friday was rough though. After the second or third wave smashed him in the head, he proclaimed, "All done!" and didn't get back in...! Smart kid.

If you're looking for a place to go where you can just shut off for a week, Edisto is it. I cannot fathom why people go to Myrtle Beach. If I wanted to be around Mexicans and rednecks, I'd stay in Columbia!

I got up for the 8 a.m. ride and, as usual, no one bothered to show up. Go figure...! It's beginning to be a big waste of time. It may be time to start riding the cross bike on the trails and doing some trail maintenance while I'm out there...
My sweat came from working in the yard this morning. At least it looks like white people live here now! One of the morons from next door rolled his still-drunk ass out of bed to stare at me while I mowed. I gave a motion like I was looking at my watch and then waved. Don't blame me if you can't handle your liquor...

No comments: