24 August 2007

Just what I needed...

We left with quite a large group Thursday and the next time I turned around, there were 10 of us. I guess people decided to turn off...
The ride itself was pretty calm leaving the Fort and going down to Ridge. The pace quickened a bit on the run to Elon, but it was still very controllable. I used Elon as I normally do, a recovery.
Once past Bunky's, the pace picked up again and we settled into a comfortable rolling paceline. The pace stayed abpout the same once on Airbase. Everyone was together going into the bump. I was stuck in the back and watched Der Kaiser and RW just roll away up the bump. It wasn't that they nailed it, they just kept the pace rolling and the guys in the middle let the gap open. The chase formed and everyone took their turns. We caught them about 1/2 way down Airbase and Karl countered his own move...badass! He took Reed and another guy with him. Again, the chase formed and we all did our parts, except for the Les Amis kid, who wanted to be a hero and fouled up the line everytime he went through. Instead of the old "through and over", he'd pull a Trez and just nail it when he came through. He gave a valiant effort, but his attempted heroics did little more than slow us down and piss me off (I was the one getting hung out in the left line).

The group was together at the Stop and we all rolled to the sprint en masse. Again, the Les Amis kid did his usual, only this time, he hung Reed out to dry. He pulled to about 500 meters and pulled over. I just sat up and slowed to his pace, throwing the nice block for RW. Rich came around @ 300 and rode away. A few stragglers gave chase, but he had it by a long shot.

We rode a piano down Double Homey and most of the way down Shop. The light caught us and when it went green, Kevin and Beano took off. Der Kaiser rode by at the head of the overpass and the train started rolling. Rich jumped to the right and I went around to the left. Mandrus caught my wheel and the three of us got a tow to the sprint. When Der Kaiser got to the front two, he sat up. Normally, with a leadout like this, I'd hit the 12 and go, but when I stood, the legs protested and I sat right back down. Then again, the leadout WAS 60kmh all the way over and down the overpass.

Overall, it was a great ride and I felt okay for the whole thing. My trip to the Chiro seems to have straightened me out, literally and figuratively. Pate told me that I should just plan on coming back every 60-90 days for tune-ups from now on. Sounds like a plan...

Saturday morning...8 a.m.

No comments: