22 July 2007

Why are weekends so short?

Saturday rides are either hit or miss around here. Two weeks ago, we had 14. Yesterday, there were four of us. It didn't really matter though, as I had planned on doing a bit of my own thing to sort out the PowerTap.
We did the Eastover loop w/o the trip to the Cricket store. A cold front has been working it's way through for the past two days, so we had a headwind out and tailwind home, which is RARE around here. We rode at a medium tempo out Old Leesburg until the climb out of the hole that leads to Congress. I dropped back and used the rise to test LT power figures. I started at 280w and slowly ramped up until that lovely burn feeling started to come into my legs. The burn started at 320w, but I pushed through and maintained between 330-340 for the entire climb. I know how Chris Carmichael says to test your power LT, but I just don't agree with the methodology (another story for later maybe?). I figure my LT power lies somewhere between 325 and 350w.
I didn't feel all that great yesterday either. I had the "Green Apple Quickstep" for most of the morning before the ride and a portion of the afternoon, post ride.
I did a couple of sprint efforts to establish 1sec and 5sec limits...for now. 1sec max was 1240w and my 5sec was 1135w. This brings us to what I don't like about the PT software. It doesn't give 10sec and 20sec readings. It skips from 5sec to 30sec! 30sec was 532w. That's a big flipping gap! Maybe I'll call Cycleops tomorrow and see what they say...
That being said, I can see now that the PT is a valuable training tool. It's like a little man with a whip, cracking you on the back. Look down and don't like the number, go a bit harder...

No one showed on what was a perfect Sunday morning, so Doogie and I meandered around Lower Richland for just shy of 3 hours. No efforts where made other than getting chased by Il Professore's favorite dogs. We were going down the hill this time and had to negotiate a sandy corner to escape. I got through just fine, but Doogie was almost a 130 pound chew toy...

It was a good ride weekend. I figured some things out, got a touch over 100 miles for the two days and the weather was cooperative. Can't complain...

No comments: