27 July 2007

Feeling better Billy Ray

Another Thursday has passed into the books, only this week, I actually felt like a cyclist and not just a guy who owns a bike.
The evening started with a way too quick run out of the Fort. It's always quick going out, but nudging 20mph on the climbs was beginning to be a bit much for me when we made the turn. At one point, Derek asked me what my wattage was...I was stuck on 430ish for the entire last climb.
Ridge was pretty sedate. Rich pulled through with a flat, and didn't know it. Derek pulled the old bikeshop manager quick change and we were off. I think some folks felt the need to make up the 5 minutes we lost. 5 guys rolled down the hill at 38+ and the kid from the RSA let a big gap open. I shot the gap at 44mph! That pretty much blew my monkey for the rest of the ride down to Elon.
Maria and Austin finally moved to town and came out last night. She got dropped and Austin went back. When I realized that they'd probably miss the turn, I sat up and waited at the foot of Elon. We paced her back on and caught the group at Bunky's.
From Bunky's to the end of Airbase was quick and steady. Every one would keep the tempo up and then Derek would jump through on his pulls. The unspoken decision was made to just chase him down and leave him out there. There were no counter moves.
Headwind or no, the ride down Airbase was a 26mph+ affair.
Doogie and Philip attacked on Double Homey, so we gave chase. I closed down Philip and 'Cisco, but Doog attacked as soon as I got there...little sh*t.
We rode piano until the bridge. Derek would have likely come around me, but it didn't matter as we both got boxed in and couldn't go. It's like watching Tour stages and seeing the sprinters wind it up, only to sit down when there's no path...
The numbers weren't all that impressive last night, but they are getting better. The PT is a harbinger of fitness, that's for sure. The numbers will go up once I get some fitness and actually take more than three pulls on a ride... ;)

Saturday 8 a.m. @ the traffic circle

No comments: