20 July 2007

Holy crap, it's hot!

When your body becomes accustomed to sitting in the 76 degree house, the first ride in four days probably shouldn't be in 95 degree heat. Last night was hot, period! My body protested pretty much the whole way. HR was throught the roof, even though I was completely shirking pulls and I just didn't have the energy. My legs felt good, but the heat was making me kind of nauseous at times.
Going out through the Fort, we weren't going all that hard, yet I was feeling like crap. At that early point, I knew the night would be about survival and nothing else. I worked down Ridge, but tail-gunned all the way to Elon. I continued in my role as last man all the way to the tracks, then I had to pull through and do some work.
Der Kaiser went to the front on Airbase on decided it was time to go. Everyone was together until the bump. At that point Francisco came across the road like he was trying to pull off a 7-10 split. He swept Mick's wheel and the six people behind all had to jump on the brakes to keep from eating shit. There goes the front group...
The six of us worked well together in the headwind, but made zero progress towards the leaders. I kind of felt like Moreau. Work your ass off and still lose time.
Everyone re-grouped at the store and rode in together. The guy from South Africa said he was afraid to get dropped and rode way over his head. He was shaking like an epilectic at the store. He was a hell of a nice guy though. I hope someone told him about the weekend rides.

My PT worked as it should, but the numbers were all over the place. Tail-gunning on the group does not produce reliable power figures. My max was 1063 and my 5 sec was 772. Those are likely the only good numbers from last night. I don't know when I hit 1063, but it wasn't on purpose. I didn't sprint or really do anything that required a big effort. 1180 Kj was a bit shocking though...

My fitness is piss poor right now. Hopefully, I can regain some form before time changes. The PT is the true test of how fit you are...or in my case...NOT.

Saturday 8 a.m. @ the Gate.

No comments: