31 December 2014

The lesser of two evils

So the choice last night was to go out solo, in the dark, OR to go down to Service Course and ride the trainer.
Knowing my hatred for The Infernal Machine, it's not hard to guess which was chosen.
Plus, being purely selfish, which is my very nature, I wanted to test the new Gore Windstopper jacket that hit the door.
Pretty slick piece of kit, I must say. The thinnest of lining, sleeves that zip off to make it a vest, and pockets on the back. Maybe overkill for the Southeast however.
I wore a baselayer, jersey, and the jacket. I was over-dressed. I had my doubts when I rolled out of Service Course, but after about 15 minutes, I felt like a 180 pound baked potato.
I unzipped in an effort to regulate some heat, but to no avail. It's a rare thing to sweat up one's glasses on a windy, 40 degree night ride.
It's flouro yellow, to the point of being obnoxious, and has reflective bits all over it. Hard to miss...
It will be a COLD weather piece of kit. Anything above say, 35 degrees, leave it at home.
Oh, and I wear a large. It's plenty big to layer underneath, but not big and blousey.
As for the ride, I sweat through 75 minutes. The plan was for 90, but the jacket was boiling me from the inside, like a giant lobster.
Hey...I'll take it, especially compared to riding the turbo. Last ride of 2014...
I ended with 190 rides...13200km...462 hours. Not bad for a married father of three...
I think I need more light though...

Links :

A motorcycle...fueled by bacon? Shut up and take my money!! Or at least let me drive behind it...

And speaking of bacon. Desserts you NEED...

A cleaner R80 you will not find...

Come to Loenhout, they said. Race CX, they said. It'll be fun, they said...


We should all aspire to be Luciano Rupolo when we grow up...
Seriously...


And with that, I'm out for 2014. Thanks for hanging out...
And don't forget,
NYD 98k from the Colonial Center 0900 sharp!

No comments: