05 July 2012

Well, that was fun...

...right up to the point of the injury...
Seriously though, it was fun.  JBrstl and I loaded up yesterday, and headed to FATS for a 4th of July adventure.  We met Hackathorne, Damon, Toby S, and one other at the trail head, and rolled out.  Did I mention that they were all on 29ers, and Bristol and I were riding CX bikes?  Yeah, we saw them for 10 minutes in the parking lot, then a couple of times on the trail, and that was it.  No worries though, it was good to see the smiling faces of guys I consider friends, and who actually enjoy riding their bicycles.
(Not to self : Go to Charleston and ride with Hackathorne...soon...)

We did the bottom three loops @ FATS, and I can say with some degree of certainty, that they are big fun, even when getting the shit beaten out of us on skinny CX tires, and very rigid CX bikes.  About 1/2 way, the was a LARGE pine tree across the trail.  It had obviously been there for a long while, as the bark was gone, and someone built a step-up to get over it.  Instead of merely getting off, climbing over, and re-mounting, I chose to be a wiseass and attempt a CX dismount/remount.  My carbon soled Diadoras chose NOT to grip the top of the log, and I slipped off the back side.  My left leg got caught under me, and bent at an angle one can only call, obtuse.  I felt, and heard, a POP, and was on the ground...bike on top of me. 

As I rocked back and forth, much like a Romanian orphan, contemplating the pain/damage, I came to the realization that we were WAAAY back in the woods, and my only real option was to go all Rule #5, and finish the ride.  And so I did...

That mishap notwithstanding, it was a good time, and something different that drove home the fact that i really like to ride bikes!

Today, the knee is STIFF, and SORE, but remarkably undamaged.  Slight sprain...nothing more.  A few days off the bike, then a few easy days, and I'll be back to the low-functioning idiot I was before. 

Only one pic today, but there's so much wrong with it that it should hold you over for a while...


Hydraulic brakes, Di2, and Garmin three-way.  Looks like two octopi making with the bang bang.  What a fucking mess....

Oh, and Il Prof is starting his West Coast Madness Tour in the coming days.  Follow his (mis)adventures...

Have a good day... #namaste

No comments: