30 July 2012

Monday and my $.02



Whooo-hoooo!  I rode outside twice over the weekend.  Neither ride was of any quality, nor quantity, but I got some fresh outside air and sunshine on my paler than usual self.  And I rode the CX bike.  The very same one than landed on top of me when I fell off the log @ FATS. 
This week will be a bit of a bust, considering Junior Mgmt. has swimming lessons again this week...and they start @ 6pm.  That's cool though...at this point, time spent with them is trumping time spent on the bike...and it's gonna be brutally hot again this week. 
I may go down and get the AC unit put back in The ManHole(tm), and spin on the turbo in front of the TV. 

Good show by Marianne Vos yesterday.  3 got away, and stayed away.  The first half of the race was little more than a group ride, but the last 40-50k was a ripper.  Good stuff.  I loved seeing Vos just overcome with emotion.  Truly a moment of humanity.  Of course, she could have also been upset that, despite the fact she just won a Gold medal, all of the photos of said win would be of her wearing that ridiculous Giro Air Attack helmet.

And now my $.02

Radios were banned in both Olympic Road Races, and you know what?  In my admittedly concussion-affected mind, it made for better racing.  Everyone had to be on their toes.  Attacks went and were covered immediately.  And then, when it came down to brass tacks, breaks got away.  Breaks that would have NEVER been given gaps had there been radios.
If there HAD been 2-way communications, team directors would have been losing their collective shit when Vino and Uran rolled away.  You don't let Vino go up the road.  If you do, the loss was deserved.  Same with Vos.  It's not like she is an unknown quantity.  Sure, someone else, but Marianne Vos?  And taking someone like Lizzie Armitstead with her?  See my previous comment about losses...

I think there's a place for radios.  I don't think everyone in the bunch should have them.  Maybe one or two domestiques from each team.  From a pure standpoint of safety, they are good.  Crashes, flats, mechanicals...sure, but just to tell riders that there's a pothole in the road at kilometer 73?  Nope...
Racers would have to rely on their wits and experience...and maybe study the parcours.  You know, like the old days.
I'm no luddite, but sometimes technology takes away from the racing.

As Dennis Miller would say, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong..."

 And speaking of helmets...
He took the time to put his compression gear on correctly at least...

Now enjoy your Monday.  And remember, riding bikes does a body good....

Namaste...

No comments: