28 May 2012

Mancation 2012 Pt. 1




As you can see from the above pics, it's a terrible, terrible place to visit. 

I've been leaving the outskirts of Philly, and heading South into Delaware.  Once Route 202 is crossed, it's like entering another country.  The roads are fabulous.  Smooth, wide, and fast.  Of course, my largess isn't optimal for the terrain. 
Every ride has been a series of 12mph climbs, followed by 40+ mph descents.  I found a loop that's 11 miles and gives nearly 500 feet of climbing per loop.  Most of it is one really ugly climb out from the Brandywine River.  That being said, the reward lies just after the climb.  A quick right turn, and a 50mph descent awaits.  The first few times thru, I was cautious, as the roads were unfamiliar.  The last time, I let the bitch run.
53mph at the base...
Some guy in an Explorer pulled up on the climb out that follows and called me a lunatic.  I said thanks!

Unfortunately, the battery in my Contour died overnight...unbeknownst to me.  The will be video of the rollercoaster ride down tomorrow...

As for the ride up, 9:12 was the total trip time.  8:50 driving time.  Average speed was just below 74mph.  It's shocking simply because I went thru the DC/Baltimore metroplex like shit through a goose. 

One more ride here tomorrow, then out into the deep suburbs for the rest of the week. 

No comments: