20 May 2012

Is that the Sun?

 Bristol and I went out Saturday and just sort of rolled around in Lex and Calhoun.  Seeing that I hadn't ridden all week, and he had plans to race in Charlotte today, we really made no effort to do anything other than roll the pedals over.  It was a big sun sort of day.  3 hours got knocked down without much fanfare, other than a really large cow that had escaped his pasture out in Calhoun.
The wind, however, was blowing dead out of the North, and the idea of fighting it on 12th St. held little romance for either of us, so we decided to hit the dirt...



Even after 4 days of rain, it was damn nice.  Not heavy at all, and only one truly damp section.  It's only a little mud...

TVH, Il Prof and I went out at 9 this morning for another jaunt into Lex and Calhoun.  Perfect day, other than the block headwind all the way home from Pelion.  Did I mention Pelion is 25-ish miles from the house?  Yeah, that shit was fun.

 Terrible roads out there.  I just don't know how much more I can take.  I may have to go back to riding the junk roads in Lower Richland...


And the scenery is akin to riding through Detroit.  It's simple abuse of the eyes...


Anyone have a flat-bottom canoe?  I have plenty of fishing poles...

Il Prof turned off to go do another two-ish hours.  TVH and I came home with 4:15 on the bike.  Cooked legs, and cooked caucasian flesh were the theme for the afternoon.  I definitely tightened up the tanlines today, although they'll be pink for a couple of days.
And my semi-custom Ultegra 12-28 cassette worked perfectly on it's shakedown.  Yeah, you're right, Shimano doesn't make an Ultegra 12-28, but it's not terribly difficult to figure how how to do it.  Lose the 11, throw in a 16 and a spacer, and lock it all down with a 12t lockring.  It should work fine to get my big self up and over some of the steeps on ManCation.

I guess the Tour of California ended today.  That news ranks right up there with watching the NBA playoffs.  Both are horribly boring, and will put an insomniac to sleep...quickly...
And Phil and Paul should probably be forced to some sort of sobriety testing before doing the VO.  They're either hammered, or have just lost it...or both...

5 full days until ManCation...

No comments: