11 April 2009

Back in the saddle...

After a week of recovery, I felt (sort of) well enough to get on the trainer and stretch my not-so-healed body back into some semblance of a cycling position. The first 15 minutes were interesting at best. After the blood started flowing, the next 30 minutes went by without much effort or drama. The only thing that was bothersome were the ribs, but I felt better for the spin. Granted, my HR never got above 140, nor did I get in a gear bigger than 39/14...
Some of the PV boys went out this morning, so I tagged along for my first ride on the road since 'the incident'. There were supposed to be 6 of us, but Meat had some issues with time and meeting place...we never saw him. Once we quit fiddling with our collective peckers, the ride fell into a nice, tempo-ish paceline. We rode out into the swamp, did the long, outside loop and came back in Airbase.
My fitness is definitely still there, as I could follow wheels and pull through at any speed. The problem is the fact that I can't make any sharp accelerations. No standing, no pulling on the bars, etc...
The mental part of getting back on the back seems to have passed. For the first hour or so, I was nervous and just felt out of sorts. I guess it's to be expected after eating shit and getting my bell rung.
A few guys are going to the mountains tomorrow to chase Doog around for 4 or 5 hours. Me, I'm riding...to Chesterfield with the family to do Easter with the in-laws...Happy Easter to me! I'll be floating on a wave of RedBull and Flexeril.
Roubaix tomorrow...and I'll be completely out of touch with the civilized World. Thanks to whoever invented the DVR!

No comments: