22 September 2008

A good day was had by all...

So I skipped the ride yesterday so I could rip out the countertops and still have time to go down to the Vista for the races.
#1 and I got there right as the 3/4 race was getting underway. It started fast and stayed fast until the first break was reeled in. Of course, I'm assuming it started fast and stayed fast because I'd never really seen Doogie's face contorted in such a manner. He didn't look like he was enjoying the first 20 minutes or so.
He rallied for a strong 4th place finish though, in a field that was pretty stacked. Time to Cat up my little friend...! There were some surprises. A few people that I expected to do well got shot out the back @ halfway. Some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug.
The women's race was thin, but Casey showed clean wheels in the sprint and won. Oh, and she did it on a borrowed bike...with junior gearing!! No excuses about borrowing bikes from that one.
She also sent me an email that she signed with FCS/Metro VW out of Dallas, Tejas.
www.fcscycling.com
Good for her!! Casey has busted her ass to move up and shows obvious talent. She'll do well with an actual team and more support.
Anyway, #1 and I stayed through the 2/3 race. The field was stacked with all of the local talent that I have the pleasure of riding and racing against. Everyone was doing well until a small excursion into the flowers occured, causing a split and a few locals to get popped off. Austin and Steve-o were right in the mix until it happened.
The course was really good, with a huge sweeping downhill corner that was being taken at 60-65kmh!! The finish was a nice little uphill grind that caused much pain. Scott did a good job with the organization and the race itself. I hope it becomes a regular event in Columbia.
Of course, it was a bit bittersweet. I really enjoy going to the races, hanging out and watching, but it stirs something inside of me. In the past 3-4 years, I stepped away from racing to take care of the Management Trainees, as a broken collarbone or road rash isn't conducive to childcare.
This winter, it seems there may be a bit of a Columbia contingent going to some cross races and I plan on being a part of it. I think it's time to get back in saddle, which means another bike...oh joy....!!! And the swap is coming....!!!
#1 was great yesterday. He was a real trooper...never a complaint or a whiney moment. He met a bunch of folks and never had a shy moment. I was very proud of the little man!!

Edit- I have a few pics of the races. I'll put together a web album and link it with the next few hours...
Edit#2- here you go...I had to size the pics down, but I have them BIG, if any wants me to email them...
http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/mmerrill-VistaGP/

No comments: