24 January 2013

To the Victor go the spoils...

USPS hit the door yesterday with my ProBikeKit UK caption contest winnings...

...a shiny, new, and VERY flouro Sportful UK Rain Jacket.

 Pretty swank, eh?  Let's call this a pre-full review review... (yeah, I could have called it a preview...shut up...!)
Anyway, fresh out of the package, I could tell that it was a damn fine piece of kit.  The sort of thing I would probably NEVER buy for myself, unless The Corporation relocated to a much damper location.
The fit :  Damn near perfect.  It's a large, and fits my 40-41" torso well.  And it FITS like a cycling jacket should fit.  A bit tighter across the shoulders and chest to prevent the incessant flapping of other wet weather clothing.  It's also a bit shorter along the front, which was disconcerting at first, but once bent over into the proper cycling position, it was just right.  No bunching along the full zipper.
The arms are long-ish, but again, once in the riding hunch, the length was exactly correct.  The openings are adjustable, with a nice little piece of rubberized velcro.  And that velcro is designed and sewn so it can be opened, or closed, easily.
The black material is the same as the "Oh-God-My-Eyes" flouro yellow, and if one looks closely, zippers are visible between the yellow and black panels.  Nope, not pockets!  Vent zippers!  Placed right where they should be...shocking, I know...
It's also longer in the back, to keep one's largess from getting wet and dirty while out practicing Rule 5 and Rule 9.  I normally ride with a fender in the wet, but still come home with "The Stripe".
The rear flap can also be folded up inside the jacket...out of the way.
The hood...removable.
 The aforementioned vent.  Same on the other side...

Definitely a waterproof affair, as the material has an old-school GoreTex feel to it.  The seams are also full welded.  No seepage!  And if you look closely, the outside of the zipper itself has the very same welding material.

I also like the reflective bits on the back and arms.  It's not much, but then again, who wants to wear an airport baggage handler's jacket on a ride?

As I said, I haven't ridden in it, but from the fit, materials, and construction, I would hazard to say that's it likely damn warm, and windproof, as well.  The requisite layering may not be necessary here, lest one bursts into flames.

As the Brits would say...I'm completely chuffed...for now.  I'll get back to you the next time it's 46 degrees and pissing rain!  The fine line between Hard and Stupid just got a bit blurrier!

Happy Thursday!  Go outside and ride, 'cause tomorrow is likely going to SUCK if you live East of the Mississippi!

Oh, and Serfas...
Maybe you guys should have kept sending me stuff to test, because then I could have told you that your bottle cages are really poorly constructed.  I broke one on the CX bike Tuesday night.  They're too tight for a standard bottle, and the plastic is far too brittle.  The cage is less than 6 months old...and it's not even on my primary bike!  Both will be removed this afternoon, and likely travel to the Land of Misfit Toys.

Edit : As much as I hate the Big S, a pair of their cages are now on the Salsa.  It is my ONLY concession to the company from Morgan Hill...

No comments: