20 June 2010

When the hell did summer get here?

I guess I got a little too used to the cool spring and winter temps. The last two Saturdays have been hot and humid affairs and have really snapped my monkey. That being said, I am still fighting off the afterglow of a sinus infection, so I guess I shouldn't expect too much.
We had a pretty good sized group yesterday, but as always happens, a good ride devolves and ends up being split all over the countryside.
Once everything settled out, the run for home began. FK hit the front a jacked the pace...again. It was hard, but not gut wrenching. Doug got scraped off and I remembered that he had mentioned that he really didn't know where he was way out in the sticks. I sat up and we rode home together. No reason at all to leave someone for dead out in Eastover on a Saturday!
3 hours and right @ 100km...pretty decent ride, but I felt like crap for the rest of the day.
And a hearty 'thanks' goes out to the H.O. for adding to my misery. On her way out of town, she decided to futz around with the bluetooth in her new car. In doing so, she drifted out of her lane and shellaced the center island of the road with her left front wheel. So like the good husband that I am, I went and saved the day. The tire is shot, the wheel is shot, the alignment is shot, and who knows what she did to the suspension!!!
In an effort to continue her trip, she switched out all of the bags, into my truck! Thanks dear...you have a good trip...I'll take care of the three-legged dog! Did I mention that her new whip only has 2200 miles on it?
I did a SLOW HoP this morning. It was hot and humid and now I sit here pecking away with a headache. I also broke one of the RULES this morning. #7 to be exact. A jersey w/o sleeves is sometimes necessary. There should be a caveat that takes heat and humidity into consideration.
Plus, if it's good enough for Cipo, it's good enough for you!
LA finished 2nd overall at the TdS today...here's the TT...
Also, Kim Kirchen had a heart attack!!! WTF??? Of course, the naysayers and know-nothings of the internet have immediately started pointing the finger at PEDs. Nevermind the facts...
It's poor form, and shows that people are nothing more than knee-jerk reactionaries. The guys has had health issues for a year or so, and seems to have some sort of heart problem.
I guess all of the teenage and early-20s folks that drop dead on the basketball court or football field are on the AVGAS too? Anyone remember Keith Iwinski's episode at the TNWC a few years ago? He went into sinus tachycardia sitting on the curb with a HR of 240!!! Fortunately, Dr. LP was there to save the day with some corotid artery massage.
Unfortunately, a lot of folks have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart). When you are sedentary, like most folks are, it's no issue. When you exercise at a high level, it can create scar tissue and be a problem.
It's sad and unfortunate that people have become so pessimistic and hateful towards the sport that they participate in as to immediately call Kirchen a doper. How very Fox News of you...!

Peace...

No comments: