29 June 2010

Been a few days...

My weekend wasn't as exciting as some...thankfully so. A lot of folks had big fun riding in the mountains. A few came to grief, one more than the rest. LL hit the ground, but is okay...just a bit 'skint'. Poor McSwain shellaced some dumbass' Boxer dog on the backside of Snake Mountain. His SRM data showed that he was traveling 65kmh when his World went black. His 5.9SSL Madone exploded on impact. The headtube was severed from the rest of the machine is a not-so-surgical fashion. His nearly 60 year old body then experienced Newton's First Law and augered into the ground. KTFO! Grade 3 concussion, right shoulder ostensibly destroyed, left thumb dislocated, and road rash that looks like he pissed off a cheese grater wielding ninja. Fortunately, he is alive...foggy and broken, but alive! Also on the plus side, he has a new bike coming. Unfortunately, this tete-a-tete with the pavement means we have plenty of time to get it together...
As an aside, if you read my lunatic rantings and DO NOT ride a bike, and think that crashing is no big deal, do this experiment today...
Strip down to your underwear, get going 40mph in your car, and then jump out. See how you fare! Same thing...
Anyway, I rode for a couple of hours on Saturday morning and a couple on Sunday morning. Both were merely SST/Maintenance rides, as it's too bloody hot to go out and punish one's self. I did get some Vitamin D on Sunday though, so it was all good!
I skipped yesterday as it was storming like something out of 'The Wizard of Oz'. 72kmh wind gust at the little airport near my house. Flying Monkeys baby!
Since the weather seems to be crap in the afternoons lately, I made the decision to roll my fat, lazy self out of bed this morning before the sun broke the horizon and get on the bike. Up @ 0600 and on the bike @ 0620. @ 0735, I was in the house with a solid 40km of tempo riding...NICE! I also realized that the early morning is the witching hour for dumbasses who own road bikes. I passed a group of gapers riding FOUR abreast, just yapping away, paying no attention to the World around them. And we wonder why we get harassed by cagers! Good show guys...thanks a lot! I did recognize one of them, and he's a chode of the highest magnitude, so the behavior really didn't surprise me.
No TNWC for me...turnout has been abysmal, so it's not even worth messing with anymore...

Oh, and here's a video that should, at a very minimum, bring a smile to your face.


Merckx is still cooler than anyone else...

No comments: