18 June 2010

Back on the horse

So after 5 days of being off the bike, I decided to go out and do a slow rehab loop of the Fort last night. I felt absolutely terrible on the bike, but still finished the big, convoluted loop within 5 minutes of my 'feel good on the bike' time, so I'm not that dis-pleased!
As I headed up the two rises that lead to the descent of The Wall, an Apache AH-64, literally, popped right up over the crest of the hill and flew over me at treetop level. VERY cool! I know the air crew saw me because the 30mm chain gun that lives under the nose turned in my direction. I felt very small, very vulnerable and very Taliban-ish at that moment!

Out on the base, the Army has taken it upon themselves to pave certain sections of some roads. While the paving is welcome, one can tell that it was done the Army/Government way...lowest bid!
A section of Washington was just done, but I don't think they took the time to properly roll the asphalt. I felt like I was sinking in it and my tires were COVERED in asphalt and gravel after I cleared the section. Dixie is much better, but the two worst parts have been excavated and are merely holes in the road filled with pea gravel. Nice...

GW's Tarmac is wearing it's new SRAM Force parts. I learned two things...well, one was learned and one was a reinforcement of an earlier belief.
1) When cutting housing for SRAM, if you think it's the correct length, it isn't. Add an inch to the length if you want it to shift!
2) I'll never buy SRAM. It just doesn't feel as solid as Shimano. The levers just feel cheap in the hand...very plastic-y. Shimano forever for me!

Evidently, LA had a good ride @ the TdS yesterday...Geshink was on fire though...
And watch this clip from Wednesday...I'm guessing the roads there are slick when wet! Even the sphincter clinch couldn't keep that one upright!

Oh, and Trek sucks! If you have a Madone, check your steerer tube! After you check it, pull all of your parts and buy something else! Here's a pic of one from Athens...

Gotta jet...time to look for some rims so I can re-build my White Industries hubs...

No comments: