10 June 2009

Wet one day, dry the next...

Woke up Monday and felt like complete crap and just skipped riding. I guess sitting in the hot sun for 4 hours, even though I didn't drink, will make you feel hungover the next day.
Tuesday met me with a serious thunderstorm. It was the kind of storm that makes the local weatherguy in Columbia act like an excited 9 year old girl. After it passed (so I thought), I got dressed and headed out. When I was EXACTLY one hour away from the house, all hell broke loose. No lightning and thunder, but biblical rain. Thankfully, the wind didn't start blowing sideways. I ended up riding as hard as I could muster to get home. On the last 2 miles of rollers, I was bombing turns and caught the white line on the inside. Nothing like having the bike squirm out from under you @ 50kmh. I didn't crash, but it couldn't have been much closer! Ended with 2 hours and some good effort.
I'm @ Mark and MK's house now, about 10 minutes from where I lived in high school. I just DO NOT remember the roads being this hilly back then...
I went out @ 7:45 this morning and just rode wherever the pavement took me. There's no escaping the climbing around here, so I decided to embrace it. I hit more 10 minute+ climbs today than I really care to talk about. One climb was 17 minutes in the 39/23 (all I had!) and it averaged 8 percent with a max of 18 percent! Let's just say I didn't sit and spin on the ascent! It was a standing, 185 HR GRIND!!!! It felt strangely good...
I looped around and finally decided to head home. I borrowed a Garmin 705 for the ride. It showed me 48 miles, 2:45 ride time and 4700 feet of climbing! Like I said, it's hilly around here. Of course, the decent was TdF-esque! Long, sweeping turns, smooth tarmac and silly (read STUPID!) high speeds. Joyous!!!
Same loop tomorrow, then hang out again. We're having a cookout tomorrow night and I'm heading back Friday morning...

No comments: