07 June 2009

Pennsyl-freakin-vanias

SoPro and I started our journey friday, spent the night in Emporia, VA and continued on to Philly Saturday morning. Traffic in DC was to be expected. Once we got close to Philly, traffic sucked. PennDOT decided, in their finite wisdom, to paint the lines on 95N, entering the city, on Saturday...at linchtime. Geniuses!
Fortunately, we go to the hotel in plenty of time for SoPro to meet her team and get ready for their ride of the course. I bailed on the ride and got the hell out of the city. I drove to the general area where I would be staying for the next two days and surveyed the lay of the land. It am be hilly 'round here. I was beginning to question my decision to leave the 23s on both wheelsets I brought with me.
I got to my friend Ray's house @ 3:15 and was welcomed with open arms. We hung out all afternoon, cooked out, played pirates with his 4 year old and generally just caught up. After the kids went to bed, I went to bed. Slept like a baby!
This morning, I woke up at my normal time and I was alone. They are some sleeping fools in this family...even the kids!
I got on the bike @ 7:30 and headed out to make an effort to work some of the sitting-in-the-car-for-10-hours stiffness out of my legs. I ended up just cruising around for two hours. Got a couple of really good climbs in and one blisteringly fast decent back to his house. I think the poor lady the the minivan must have just about pooped when I passed her on the decent going almost 75kmh...big fun! Don't know how far I rode, just that I rode for 2 hours and enjoyed it! And the 39/23 combo is right on the edge of what I could push on a couple of the climbs. This place makes Columbia look board flat! Probably do the same loop tomorrow...maybe do it twice...I have the time!
This afternoon we're having a reunion of sorts. Most of the old crew is getting together for burgers and beers.
More updates to follow as the week progresses...

No comments: