14 June 2009

Vacation is over...dammit!

Thursday, I did another two hour loop through the hills in Pa.
I got to the turn where the 'longer vs. go home' decision was to be made and since it was 67 degrees and raining, I made the decision to head to the house. I had another good ride though.
We had a little get together Thursday night at MK's house. It was fun to see everyone after so long...too long really...
We stayed up until alomost 1 a.m., which was great, but made for a LONG day Friday.
I got up @ 6 and left at 8 to head home. I made GREAT time until I hit Virginia...less than 3 hours to get from the Philly 'burbs to the other side of DC! I-95 in Virginia really sucks. Bad tarmac, overzealous police and road construction in the middle of the day. I lost 45 minutes waiting in traffic while a crew had 1-1/2 lanes shut down to fix a 15 foot section of damaged guard-rail. 4 trucks and 9 guys are, evidently, needed to effect such a repair...who knew...

I stopped for gas immediately after my time loss, slammed 17.5 gallons into a 18.5 gallon tank and set the speed @ 80 for the rest of the trip. In the middle of NC, I saw lights coming up behind me...FAST...and figured that I was popped. As they lights got close, I could tell they didn't belong to a police vehicle. VERY shortly thereafter, a Porsche 911 Turbo blew by me like I had stopped. As he passed, his wake turbulence shook my truck! He was going 120+ if he was going 11!!!
I got home @ 6...had dinner with Doog, unpacked, showered and went to bed. Saturday involved a lot of sleep. I slept in and then took a 3 hour afternoon nap. The H.O. and M.T.s got home @ 7:30...
Vacation over, peace and silence dead...
I'm going for a ride...

No comments: