16 January 2009

Night-time is the right time

...for riding the cross bike.
I went out Tuesday night, solo, and did the HoP loop downtown. I rode as hard as is possible up through campus and across downtown. I did manage to time the lights right, so I blew through Main St. like poop through a goose. A very short motorpacing session presented itself at the intersection of Main and River. Some dude on a scoot was beside me at the light and when it went green, I let him go a little and jumped on the draft. I rolled down the hill behind him @ 70kmh+, which is pretty hairy for more than a few reasons.
1) don't know the guy...he could be a lunatic and nail the brakes at any moment
2) it's dark
3) traffic on River Drive
4) cross bike with 700x35c tires does NOT like going that fast
I followed him the the bridge over the river and made my turn into the park. I felt good, so I rode hard SST/interval pace all the way to the very end of the trail. The whole episode, from tip to tail, ended up being almost 15 minutes at a pace that was borderline violent. Tempo on the cross rig makes tempo on the road bike seem easy.
Back up through downtown and home with @ 75 minutes of hard riding under the belt. And if I see those frat douchebags that buzzed me in Shandon again, there will be a beating of epic proportions. I have the tag number and am thinking about running it through the DMV and SLED. Yeah, I can do that...
Last night, Doog and I did the HoP loop again, did some decent tempo work again and added a few parking garages at the end to really make the legs happy. You guys laugh, but standing/climbing a garage from bottom to top is good for you...
We ended with almost two hours last night...it wasn't cold...and if anyone says that it was, well...
My testing period for Serfas began last night as well. I don't think that one ride with any product is enough to form an informed opinion, so I'll continue my protocol and report on the items sent to me in a week or so...the brakes pads DO match my cross bike, so that's a plus... :)
Thanks again to JT @ Serfas!

Oh, and we're riding tomorrow @ 1pm (SHARP) from the Gate. It may be cold, so HTFU!

No comments: