17 December 2008

Pine Straw

That would be a good description of my riding style last night...as I was all over the trail. I felt really good on the bike, but my already limited mental abilities went on walkabout.
The ride started off with a resounding THUD, as I caught a downed tree with my front wheel and just couldn't pull it out. The bike went right...I went left. Fortunately, the wet pinestraw provided a soft cushion for my not-so-gradual stop. No injuries, but a good bit of laughter!
From that point, I was pretty worthless. I felt good on the bike, but my admittedly limited mental abilities went on walkabout. I just couldn't concentrate on what I was doing. I must have ridden off the trail, dead into the woods, at LEAST 6 times. Poor Doog...he just followed into the thicket.
I may have been a tad overdressed and overheated, which may, or may not, have contributed to my brainfade. A longsleeve, fleece lined jersey WITH a base layer is, in fact, a bit much for 65 degrees. Oh, and knee warmers...

We went all the way out to MM8 and turned back.

Other than crashing, riding like a mentally challenged orangutan, running out of lights (battery went dead) and flatting my front tire 4 blocks from home, it was a pretty good ride. Sure as hell beat the trainer!

As an aside...
Doogie, don't blame your compact gearing for losing the bridge sprint! You have a 50 big ring...I have a 48 and I still showed you clean wheels...and I wasn't even in the 12.

No comments: