23 December 2008

It's just not built for that...

I rode the 29er this morning, but I just wasn't motivated to go ride in the woods. Instead, I did my urban assault loop...on the 29x2.3 tires. Wow, do those tires ride like complete shit on the tarmac.
It was cold and windy and I was rolling slow.
It took me a full 30 minutes longer to do the loop on the 29er than it does on the cross rig. I had a bit of an epiphany...not a full on, single ray of sunshine on a dark day, ate the whole chocolate cake moment of clarity, but just a sliver of sun or chunk of cake.
I really don't like mountain bikes. I don't like the position. I don't like fact that they handle like ill-steering dumptrucks. I don't like the complete lack of speed when riding.
Granted, I felt pretty empty this morning, but I just didn't enjoy my ride.
To be fair, I LOVE riding my cross bike in the woods, in bad weather, in the cold, on dirt roads...pretty much anywhere. If I was forced to own one, single bike, I'd build up a super-swank cross rig because it can do everything. I guess I'm just a roadie at heart.
I'll give the 29er another chance...next time in the woods, where it belongs, cause it just ain't built for the road.

No comments: