12 October 2008

Enjoyment

Well, I guess the time off the bike gives perspective. Yesterday was a pretty crappy day outside, so I got on the cross bike and did a big loop around town, including one effort that made me feel a bit sick. Even so, it was fun. I didn't mind being wet, dirty or getting pushed around by the wind.
I did feel the fact that I've lost a bit of fitness and the wheels I put on the cross bike are PIGS. Mavic MA3 hoops built on Ritchey hubs with straight gauge spokes. 2000 grams of love. When you add the fat tires, you're right at 3000 grams for the wheelset. That's 6-1/2 pounds of rolling thunder.
This morning, the group was a good size and we headed out into the 20 mph wind that didn't seem to be blowing in, or out, of any particular direction. We made a roundabout loop through the swamp, around to the GMart and back in. Although Sunday is supposed to be Il Prof's steady, not too hard group ride, this one was a bit different. There were sections that were positively fast and painful. The group stayed together, for the most part, and we had a really good ride. Ben, Crusty, Kevn and I got away on Shop and Ben led me out for the sprint. He said I should of come around him faster!!! When it's the middle of October and the leadout is 55kph in a head/cross wind, you do what you can to come around!
Again, I liked being on the bike. We did @ 85km in 2:40...and putzed around for a good thirty minutes after we stopped at the store. The Ridley felt smooth and efficient.

Ride Tuesday night @ 6. Ft. Jackson traffic circle.

No comments: