30 March 2008

One for two

Saturday's ride went off as it normally does, and we had a pretty good group this week. We did the usual Eastover route and everyone stayed together, even through the fast spots. My stomach is still a mess. I think it must be due to my improved diet. I've largely cut out junk and started eating actual fruits and veggies. My body isn't accustomed to being fed food that's good for it and seems to be rebelling.
I still rode reasonably well and even managed a large, hairy effort on Double Homey to chase down Reed. I ended up with 90km in 2:45. Then we went and walked around the zoo for a while. The boys seemed to love it, so it's all good with me.
This morning, I awoke to 45 degrees and pissing rain. Considering I'm not getting paid to do this, I stayed in the house. #1 and I made a trip to Target and dropped the usual $100. Then we went to the bookstore. I got an armload of cycling mags and the boy got some Dr. Seuss.

As an aside, my carbon wheels came in and are pretty flipping nice. Nice finished and hella smooth ceramic bearings! The rear has a manufacturing defect and it's going back. No worries or stress though, and I'll tell you why...
I figured out the problem when I was installed the wheel on the bike. The bead/braketrack had a bulge in it from poorly laid-up carbon. I was a bit pissed off and called Williams Cycling...repeatedly...to no avail...or so I thought. About 9 p.m., my cell phone rings...it's Keith Williams. Yep, the man what own the joint. I tell him the issue and he listens, I mean actually listens. He apologizes and means it. He's sending me a new wheel Monday, via FedEx, on his own dime...before I send the other wheel back! He's even sending a call tag for the defect wheel.
Most companies wouldn't have called back until Wednesday or so, asked you what you did wrong, claimed it wasn't a defect and then made you send the wheel back at your own expense. You might get your wheel back in 4 to 6 weeks. ...cough...Mavic...cough...
Customer service folks...learn from it.

www.williamscycling.com

Oh, and another linky you'll appreciate...

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/milano-san-remo-2008/1382311214

No comments: