12 October 2007

Solo

I guess the Thursday night rides have dried up. I showed at the gate last night and was alone. I planned for this contingency and brought the mp3 player. I popped in the tunes and did a slow loop of the Fort by myself.
I'm riding the Salsa until the new Helium gets here and I noticed a few things last night. I'm very crunched up on that bike and it's really flipping stiff. The difference between it and the old Ridley was amazing. It just proved the point to me that the old Ridley had been broken for quite a while. When I stood to climb last night, the bike actually went forward instead of feeling like it had a migrating bottom bracket shell. The front end was much stiffer as well. Of course, a 500 gram cyclocross fork with a steel steerer is likely to be stiffer than an all carbon, 300 gram fork...
I had an enjoyable ride though...

I changed to some new style Ultegra pedals too. First time out on them will be Saturday morning. They'll wither be better or they'll cripple me. I really like the Crank Brothers pedals, but just don't feel terribly secure when making a big sprint effort. I always fear popping out, so I don't go as hard as I can...
We'll see...! The new Shimano pedals may make my knee swell like a grapefruit...

I've ordered all of the parts needed for the new frame...well, not needed, but wanted...! I got new cables and housing (actually needed), new cages and a ceramic BB. I figure, if I'm going all out on this bike, why not the ceramic BB?

If you want ceramic stuff, check out www.superflycycles.com ! You won't beat their prices or service. Sign up for the newsletter/club thingy too. Free shipping and 10% off...

No comments: