28 October 2007

A mixed weather bag

Yesterday, I rolled out of bed at 7:30 to start my morning routine in preparation for the group ride. I checked the temp...59 degrees...not great, but not all that cold either. Then I looked out the front window! It was foggy. I don't mean just foggy, but horror movie FOGGY. The house across the street is 50-60 feet away and it was nothing more than a ghostly shape in the mist.
This thinned the group immediately.
I showed at 5 'til 9 and New Guy Rob and I were the only ones there. We ended up with a total of 8. The group sort of meandered out towards Hopkins, then towards Eastover and back to the G-Mart. A nice paceline developed on Airbase and we all stayed in a group until the end. I jumped for the sprint from way too far out, in way too big of a gear. Doogie got me at the line.
Il Professore continued his streak of breaking parts shortly thereafter. Going down the concrete section of Old Garners Ferry, he hit a bump and the front bolt of his seat clamp sheared off. The nose of his saddle went straight up and turned out to be something of a divining rod for the rest of the ride. He stuck his bike in the biggest gear (50/11) and stood for the remainder of the ride. As he would swing the bike from side to side, the saddle would flop about, with the nose always pointing at his rear end.
It was a great ride with a great group. We ended with a touch over 50 miles in 2:45.
I got home a lazed about for the rest of the day. The house is almost too quiet when the H.O. and the kids are gone.
Doogie and I met this morning for a 2+ hour ride through the Fort and Hopkins. We had a great tailwind on a few sections and the sun was shining through the high clouds. When we turned onto Bluff, the head/crosswind started. It's always funny how the 130 pound guys climb like they have rockets up their asses, but they tend to turn into Remora when the wind gets stiff.
Doogie took advantage of my copious draft and diesel power at this point.
We cruised through campus and stopped at TVH's house for a short chat, and then contined on to pick up Mrs. Doogie's Touareg. She had a bit too much firewater last night and was forced to leave it in Shandon.
All in all, I had a good weekend of riding the new rig and got it a little dirty for the first time. Rest assured, it's clean now though...and it has a white saddle...

No comments: