08 February 2007

Skinny = good...not always!

It was another Wednesday night ride, for the first 1km. I stood up to take off from a stop sign about 1km from the house and PRANNG!, I broke a front spoke. My normal wheel on the front is a FSA RD400 with a 40c tire on it. The 40 is just about perfect for riding singletrack on a cross bike. It grips, doesn't slide around and floats over roots and sand.
I didn't want to be late(r), so I came home and swapped for my urban assault front wheel. It's a Record hub on a Velocity rim, which isn't a big deal, but it has a 35c tire on it that actually measures 32c. This was NOT the correct choice for singletrack. It was great riding out on the road, but once it the woods, I was like pinestraw...all over the trail! When the NASCAR boys talk about a push, or understeer, it means the front of the vehicle won't turn. It just pushes through the corner. Welcome to my ride last night. The skinny tire made me ride much slower than usual and my flipping hands hurt this morning from the jarring they received.
Suffice it to say, the 40 will be going on the other front wheel at some point before my next excursion into the woods. I may even throw the Marzocchi fork on it...
We did have a good ride though. They have closed the road we ride out on due to some issues with a dam by the lake. It was nice not having to dodge cars.

It was another crazy smell night too. This time is was freshly struck matches. Just weird...

My brother is threatening to get a new cross bike! He's ridden the Fuji for about 8 years. He's starting to be forced to Frankenstein the thing here and there for operational utility. Personally, I'm waiting for the thing to come apart under him one night...

Oh well, another day, another $.67...

No comments: