11 February 2007

O/U = 5 Temp = 32 Actual = 3

Well, Saturday's ride was something of a pitiful display. Don't get me wrong, the THREE of us that actually showed had a great ride. One would think that the fact time changes in 4 weeks, or the spring series starts in two weeks, would have people coming out. However, one would be wrong.
Anyway, we did a variation of the old Tuesday night loop. The wind was out of the north, so we had a head/crosswind out and a tail/crosswind home. It was cold at the start (32), but the sun was high in the sky and it felt much warmer. We rolled around for 2:30 and ended up with about 75km. We ended the ride with a medium/high tempo effort that lasted about 15-20 minutes. It reminded the heart and legs what an effort was all about. Since I have zero leg speed right now, it hurt a bit. Hurt isn't a bad thing though. Like J. Cash said, "I hurt myself today, to see if I still feel...".
I didn't even bother to wake up for the group (hah-hah) ride this morning. Secure in the knowledge that no one would show as there was talk yesterday that the core of the group would be going out at 1pm. I simply cannot urinate my day away by going at 1. Well, it's not that I can't, it 's that I won't...
I'll be on my cross bike within the next 45 minutes, do my 90 minute interval loop, come home, eat, shower and finish my painting and be on the couch by 2pm...
There will be a winter, one of these years, that will be just cold, wet and miserable. Me thinks that the stretch of 60-70 degree days not long ago thinned a lot of blood and spoiled people.

You don't get hard by lazing about and rolling around in the sunshine. Just ask the Belgians...

Oh, I forgot something. I rode the new Crank Brothers Quattro SL pedals yesterday. They are pretty nice. They feel remarkably similar to Time ATAC mountain pedals. At first I was leery of standing up to climb or getting out of the saddle to sprint because they just feel so much looser than the Looks I've been riding for 15 years. After two hours, I felt pretty confident in them and did an out of the saddle effort. No issues at all. I never felt as if my foot was going to pop out of the pedal, nor did I feel my foot skating around. Overall, I'm pleased thus far...
The best part...no knee pain! I still have some residual twinges from when I hurt it a few weeks ago, but these pedals didn't seem to aggravate my knee. If you have knee issues, try these pedals. You can get 'em cheap on Ebay...

No comments: