05 May 2014

So...the weekend happened...

And it was pretty good...

Nice little solo spin Saturday morning.  And again, the Tuesday loop backwards is no joke, especially when the extra climb from Fish Hatchery, up around SR S32-1400 (seriously, that's the only road sign!), back to Glenn is added.  Makes the climb straight up Glenn seem short, and enjoyable.  A quick loop around, and back in for a tick under two hours.
And a Vittoria Open Corsa CX died a valiant death.
Out by the airport, quite near UPS, I hit what had to have been a large stone.  I hit the gravel, and it fired out from under the tire with alarmingly velocity, and struck the fence 20ft. from the road.
My thought was, "Hmmm...I'll bet that cut the shit out of that tire...".  We'll return to this portion of the story in a moment...

After bike practice, it was time for U8 Futbol with #2 son.
I have to say, I'm not one of these over-bearing, "soccer parents".  You know the ones.  The folks who yell, scream, hoot and holler if little Johnny/Janey trips over his/her own shadow, and live their lives through their children's activities.
I will say, however, that I was pretty chuffed after the match.  The boy played goal for a full half, and made EIGHT saves!  EIGHT!  And one showed aggression, and concentration I haven't seen from the boy before.
As usual, the little scrum of kids all kicking each other while trying to kick the ball was moving down the field.
As soon as it got into "his" goal box, the boy waded in like an outlaw kicking open the doors of a saloon.  He jumped in the middle, pushed players from both teams out of the way, and dove on the ball.  Not in his house!!
I'm pretty low-key at his games, so he will forget about me, and concentrate on the game, but that single action fired me up!
I think he's figuring it out!

Post footy, it was the normal running around, and working outside.  Well, my work was cycling related.  The Salsa frameset is done...
It turned out pretty okay...

All parts have arrived.  Just need to run up to the shop to get some cables, and the build can commence.  Gonna be nice to have a working CX bike again.  I miss the dirt...

(Here's where the cut tire story reconvenes...)
Sunday morning, as I was getting ready, I noticed that the aforementioned chunk of granite did, in fact, gouge the tire.  So much so that the green latex tube could be seen through the cut.  Dead tire...at 8:15am...20 minutes before I needed to leave to meet the group.
Turbo tire change, and a Hail Eddy, and we were good to go.
Moral of the story?  If you THINK something might be wrong, check it out.
A nice group assembled, and we headed out it out big blue, sunshiney morning.
 It was terrible out there...
 Sunshine.  Empty roads...and Big John looking less and less "Big" every day.  And before anyone scoffs at a 260 pound dude in lycra, you'd all be lucky to ride with him.  Rock solid on the bike, huge engine, and a hella nice guy. 
And "The Axe"...just don't make eye contact...

100km under wheels, and I was back at Service Course.  A quick rinse and nosh, and then 90 minutes of yardwork.  I think the triathletes call it a brick?

 Laurens Ten Dam just shot to the top of the "Liked Rider" list...
 Hey Mr. Edwards!!!  You said you wanted a black and white bike...
 Real podium girls in Spartanburg last Friday night.

Wanna figure out gear ratios?  This little tool is pretty cool.

And The Giro starts in FOUR days...

That'll do it for today.  I've wasted enough of your time...and I have my own time to waste...

Another big sun day today.  Go outside and let it warm your face.



No comments: