25 June 2012

A lot of nothing...

 Boonen won the Belge Champs again.  Evidently, on this Monday morning, there's a shortage of cocaine, Italian sports cars, and teenage models...

Yeah, sure, Forstermann has never used any kind of PED....

We all know the song...sing it with me...

Ok, here's a test...which of the t-shirts doesn't belong?

I know the angle of this shot of the Stelvio has been manipulated, but it's still a crazy shot.  Here are more to pine over...


And again, I'm re-thinking my stance on the whole fixed-gear-hipster-girl thing.  There's a definite "Red Riding Hood" story to be written here...

So as I mentioned a few days ago, I knicked the sidewall of a high dollar Vittoria Open Corsa SC.  The knick was all of 3-4mm long, and maybe 1-1.5mm wide...just tiny.  Normally, when the sidewall of a tire gets a knick, or a cut, it's garbage.  Well, not this time.
As I've already destroyed two of these tires since March, I had some material with which to affect a repair.  One of the OC SCs came out of the pile and gladly sacrificed a section of it's baloney-skin thin sidewall.
This small (1cm x 3cm) section was then glued into the inside of the tire with Germany's finest Schlauchreifenkitt.  A much smaller (5mm x 1cm) section was then super-glued to the outer sidewall.
Re-install, and air up to 120-ish psi.  Not even so much as a sidewall bump.
I rode it around the block.  Not a hint of the tell-tale "thump-thump-thump" that sometimes accompanies a booted tire.

Saturday morning, it got it's test.  5 of us rolled out thru the Fort, and into LR.  The Vitt got checked at the escape trail, and all was fine.
I stopped thinking about it at that point.  No muss, no fuss...
A long, meandering loop rolled under our wheels, including what seemed like a brutally long section of Bluff and Old Bluff.  I guess the complete lack of cover, and the heat-midity had something to do with this...

Good ride, good company...

I then came home and did 5 hours of manual labor in the driveway.  "No big deal" you say?  Ok then, the next time I go to Lowe's and get 6x6x8' lumber, I'll expect help.  Those fuckers are heavy (150-ish pounds) and awkward.  

Sunday...no ride, as I was playing the part of loving husband and father, which we all know runs completely contrary to my normal M.O.  (yes, that was sarcasm!)  What'd we do?  Not important.  Just know it was quality time spent...

Enough for a Monday...

Namaste...

2 comments:

The Southern Warhost said...

Note: I hate Specialized. I'm a former burned employee of the red devil buuut, the T-shirt may in fact fit. The company DID start as an importer of Italian products until Mike decided to make a tire then rape the mountain bike by mass-producing a Hard Rock. I have several Hard Rocks I'd like to throw at the old bastard.

MM said...

http://www.switchbackmagazine-digital.com/switchback/20120607?pg=88#pg88

Read this...

Mikey Poo, and the author, try to portray Sinyard as some white Knight of the industry. When in reality, he's an overly-litigious gasbag. See also : the Volagi case, the Mountain Cycle case...

The shirt may have been in proper company THEN, but today...not so much...