09 September 2010

The best laid plans of mice and men...

So I go out this morning, once again forsaking the God of Tarmac, and the above is the result. I rode for all of 30 minutes before the entire rear of my drivetrain decided it no longer wanted to be a part of the ride. One little stick, about the diameter of Joe Papp's pecker, flipped up and got tangled in the rear mech. I'm no big brain, but I don't think that Shimano's engineers planned for the Ultegra SL derailleur to remain operational when pulled into such an acute angle. For those playing at home, that's an approximately 180 degree flip, and a 90 degree inward twist.
The mech is trash. The chain is trash. The hanger is bent and the wheel is out of true. Fortunately, the Dirt God offered the spokes some protection from the assault. CX-Rays are strong...and $4 each...
I'm going to dis-mantle the tangle of bits later. I'd planned on going to GV to do the training series race next Wednesday. We'll see...
For now, the plan is too throw a used XT mech on there and run it. New stuff will be on the way before the El Sol dips below the horizon tonight.


Seen on the road. I may have to make some stencils this weekend.


A couple of hipsters were in the shop this morning talking about wheelies, skids and bar spins. The photo fully explains my feelings on the topic.


And PLEASE keep the fine folks in Boulder in your thoughts. The fire is still raging. Terrible, just terrible...

2 comments:

spokejunky said...

I guess it's not the length of the stick, but the girth.

MM said...

That's what she said...