06 November 2009

Friday commentary

I think all that frequent this place realize that I'm not a big fan of ball and stick sports. Out of all sports that involve throwing or catching, I dislike baseball the least. Sure, I still think that the vast majority of MLB players are di-anabol eating wankers, but every so often, I'll watch a baseball game. It's OK on TV, but actually quite fun to go to the park, especially a minor league park.

Anyway, Philadelphia just lost* the World Series to the Jankees. Let it be known from here to eternity...I HATE THE JANKEES! They are anti-thesis to what the game of baseball should be. Sure, maybe I'm a bit of a luddite. I quite enjoy watching the old documentaries about baseball with video sourced from decades gone by. A team was a team. The guys lived in the neighborhood. They didn't jet in for game day, and then catch another jet after the game to go home to their $7 million dollar, 12, 000 square foot, homage to too much money and bad taste.

I spent many formative years in the Philly 'burbs, and went to more baseball, football, basketball and hockey games than I care to remember, so I have a bit of nostalgia and love for those teams.


I watched the WS with rapt attention and was highly bummed when the Jankees took the series 4-2. The Phillies look, and play, like a TEAM. The Jankees look, and play, like a collection a high priced mercenaries, which is what they are...did I mention the Jankees payroll is $200 million!!!! That's $200,000,000! Eight fucking zeros people...


Again, Philadelphia sports teams have fans that don't exactly fit any mold, and can be huge douchebags, but they're homers. They aren't bandwagon jumpers or fair-weather fans. They come out in all sorts of horrendous climatic events and are there for the team, be it the Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, or Flyers. If the team sucks, they boo, jeer, and are generally nasty. If the team is good, they cheer with reckless abandon, but they are always there! Asses in the seats, beer in hand! It's endearing in a sick and twisted sort of way.


Yankees fans, well....they're New Jorkers...need I say more?

No comments: