15 November 2008

First time in the woods

Since the weather was so lovely this morning, Doog and I hit the Palmetto Trail for a little cross bike action. I dug out my old Ksyriums and popped on the fatties and we met @ 9.
We skipped the first section of trail on the way out, and should have on the way back...it sucks!
Anyway, 100 yards in, there's a pine tree laying across the trail at a 30 degree angle. Normally, I'd hop it, but it was damp and I really didn't want to eat shit...I got off...it won't happen again as I'll be out there with the chainsaw shortly.
There are quite a few trees down. Only one or two will be chopped. One will have a bridge built over it. The others are easily cleared with a well-placed bunnyhop.
We went to MM8 and turned back. I'd forgotten about proper tire pressures for the trail. On the way out, to much air...let a little out. On the way back...too little, but not by much.
Doog missed a bunnyhop over one of the aforementioned trees and dismounted...less than gracefully. The Russian judge was not impressed.
I had forgotten the all over work that one gets riding a stiff-ass cross bike on singletrack. My hands, arms and back were all less than happy with me at the end of the ride. Even so, it was a good ride. I remember why it makes me strong in the Spring! Anytime any of the cool kids want to join us for the ride, they are welcome. I have no issues leaving them out there.

Ride tomorrow...Outjokin'...9a.m.

No comments: